Focus on building your Web 3.0 brand. Let me deal with the legal uncertainties.
Ontario Superior Court of Justice (ONSC) Allows Service via NFT Airdrop
McRae-Yu v. Profitly Incorporated et. al – (June 15, 2023) – Sohaib represented the Plaintiff in a proposed class action involving the sale of non-fungible tokens (NFTs). The ONSC granted an ex-parte Mareva injunction against the Defendants and allowed service of the statement of claim and injunction Order via an NFT airdrop into 13 cryptocurrency wallets alleged to be under the control of the Defendants. This appears to be the first NFT service order in Canada.
Publications and Media
- “Cryptocurrency Mixers: OFAC Sanctions and Canadian Treatment” – LexisNexis Practical Guidance (August 29, 2023)
- ” Canadian court allows service via NFT ‘airdrop‘ ” – Law360 (July 26, 2023) (Reproduced here).
- “Investment Contracts and Cryptocurrency Tokens: A Review of the SEC v. Ripple Decision” – LexisNexis Practical Guidance (July 25, 2023)
- “Non-Fungible Token Purchase and License Agreement” – LexisNexis Practical Guidance (July 2023)
- “Crypto Trading Platforms and Binance’s Exit from Canada” – LexisNexis Practical Guidance (May 23, 2023)
- “Copyright Issues: Non-Fungible Tokens and Tokenized Art” – LexisNexis Practical Guidance (February 19, 2023)
- “Cryptocurrency Regulation (Canada, US, and EU)” – LexisNexis Practical Guidance (January 30, 2023)
- “Non-Fungible Tokens” – LexisNexis Practical Guidance (December 23, 2022)
Schedule A Consultation
Get in touch! Let’s discuss your specific legals needs and how I can help.