Focus on building your Web 3.0 brand. Let me deal with the legal uncertainties.
Ontario Superior Court of Justice (ONSC) Allows Service via NFT Airdrop
McRae-Yu v. Profitly Incorporated et. al – (June 15, 2023) – Sohaib acted for the Plaintiff in a class action involving the sale of non-fungible tokens (NFTs). The Ontario Superior Court of Justice (ONSC) allowed service of the statement of claim and Mareva injunction Order via an NFT airdrop into 13 cryptocurrency wallets. This appears to be the first time a Canadian court has allowed Defendants to be served through an NFT airdrop.
Publications and Media
- Cryptocurrency Law (Episode 88) – Lawyered Podcast (November 8, 2023) (Available on Apple Podcasts here).
- “Cryptocurrency Mixers: OFAC Sanctions and Canadian Treatment” – LexisNexis Practical Guidance (August 29, 2023)
- ” Canadian court allows service via NFT ‘airdrop‘ ” – Law360 (July 26, 2023) (Reproduced here).
- “Investment Contracts and Cryptocurrency Tokens: A Review of the SEC v. Ripple Decision” – LexisNexis Practical Guidance (July 25, 2023)
- “Non-Fungible Token Purchase and License Agreement” – LexisNexis Practical Guidance (July 2023)
- “Crypto Trading Platforms and Binance’s Exit from Canada” – LexisNexis Practical Guidance (May 23, 2023)
- “Copyright Issues: Non-Fungible Tokens and Tokenized Art” – LexisNexis Practical Guidance (February 19, 2023)
- “Cryptocurrency Regulation (Canada, US, and EU)” – LexisNexis Practical Guidance (January 30, 2023)
- “Non-Fungible Tokens” – LexisNexis Practical Guidance (December 23, 2022)
Schedule A Consultation
Get in touch! Let’s discuss your specific legals needs and how I can help.